Back to Home PageWelcome Guest! Register | Login | Home | Contact Us | Site Map | Advertise | FAQ | Search
Canadian Desi
    Charcha


        
  Canada Immigration Forum > General > Sports > Olympic - What is in China that India lacks
Last Post | Newest Post
 
< [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ] [ 4 ] >

Olympic - What is in China that India lacks




Maharaj
Senior Desi
Member since: Oct 02




Posts: 1721
Location: Brampton


I was replying to your Question "where the hell all our energy get sucked?" - in complaining and blaming. Nobody wants to standup, deliver and be responsible.

... I look at it this way. We don't treat Sports a Career as yet. It is still a leisure activity. So many Indians have immigrated to so called Sports Rich Country but still you don't hear Indian Name Often. Raj Bhavsar is the only Indian Name in Gymnastics that I have heard. He got Bronze in Team event. No Swimmer, No Track-n-Field, No Water Sport, List is Long.

You draw conclusion.

In India, Cricket is the only Sports that parents are looking forward to. Now with multiple Employers available - you'll see even more cricketers. Tennis is another good option.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Mumbai Maazi Ladki ...

 
Post ID: 125779 13-08-08 15:47:39
Report Abuse
blorean
Senior Desi
Member since: Apr 08




Posts: 528
Location:


Quote:
Originally posted by Maharaj

I was replying to your Question "where the hell all our energy get sucked?" - in complaining and blaming. Nobody wants to standup, deliver and be responsible.

... I look at it this way. We don't treat Sports a Career as yet. It is still a leisure activity. So many Indians have immigrated to so called Sports Rich Country but still you don't hear Indian Name Often. Raj Bhavsar is the only Indian Name in Gymnastics that I have heard. He got Bronze in Team event. No Swimmer, No Track-n-Field, No Water Sport, List is Long.

You draw conclusion.

In India, Cricket is the only Sports that parents are looking forward to. Now with multiple Employers available - you'll see even more cricketers. Tennis is another good option.



One option is to let it go and just revel in the fact that we are an intellectually good nation with rich culture and tradition. :)

Let's take a vote right now.

How many desis here, for example are pruning their little ones to become world class athletes? How many parents rather their kids concentrate more on education than spend time practicing at the local hockey arena? (just as an example)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you have a gun, you can rob a bank.
If you have a bank, you can rob everyone.
- Bill Maher

 
Last edited by: blorean on 13-08-08 15:54:25
Post ID: 125780 13-08-08 15:53:41
Report Abuse
Maharaj
Senior Desi
Member since: Oct 02




Posts: 1721
Location: Brampton


Quote:
Originally posted by bloreanLet's take a vote right now.

How many desis here, for example are pruning their little ones to become world class athletes? How many parents rather their kids concentrate more on education than spend time practicing at the local hockey arena? (just as an example)


Now we are talking ...
My Daughter goes to Bramalea Gymnastics Club, Skating, Swimming ... She loves it and I would love to see her continuing in these three. I have tried Soccer & Soft Ball - but she did not like it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Mumbai Maazi Ladki ...

 
Last edited by: Maharaj on 13-08-08 16:08:05
Post ID: 125782 13-08-08 16:07:17
Report Abuse
JRF
Senior Desi
Member since: Jul 04




Posts: 1853
Location: GTA, Ontario


Quote:
Originally posted by blorean


Let's take a vote right now.

How many desis here, for example are pruning their little ones to become world class athletes? How many parents rather their kids concentrate more on education than spend time practicing at the local hockey arena? (just as an example)



Interesting.., You could post this as a separate thread. I wish to hear from people, not from challenge perspective but just to know how they are supporting the kids to pursue their non-academic interest.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The cowards never started,
The weak died on the way,
Only the strong arrived.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yK1i9cLAMM

 
Post ID: 125783 13-08-08 16:10:04
Report Abuse
HelloG
Senior Desi
Member since: Jan 08




Posts: 338
Location: vasudhev kutumbkam


Talking of majority of 'junta' in India ,Middle class that is, is driven by Bollywood,Cricket, Education (that would yield a good pay packet) , TV and whatever time they have left is taken up by discussion about politics religion etc.
Liking to sports is chosen on the basis of what is in fashion and what brings money n instant fame. Talk shows bring out these topics during Olympics Asiads and then its all forgotten till next time.
Theres a lot of talent but goes unnoticed due to lack of encouragement from all quarters..parents, corporate, govt. ,schools and also due to lack of Infrastructure. There are not many clubs (except cricket) where kids can go and explore their talent. Metros are lacking in proper sports facilities for kids. If out of perseverance some kid tries to make a mark , he is to face lot of challenges with regrads to sponsors,equipments of international standards,coaching and finally Politics.
Do take out itme to read about the treatment that out Hockey team got
http://www.4to40.com/newsat4/index.asp?id=1652
http://www.hindustantimes.com/storypage/storypage.aspx?sectionName=&id=224d7e4d-0b09-4130-96f9-9d36a2f400f0&&Headline=Hockey+players+irked%3b+to+go+on+hunger+strike&strParent=strParentID


I agree that we should cath 'em young but who is to do this..do we have a system and people who go out scouting in streets,rural areas in India.The answer, I am afraid is NO.


 
Post ID: 125796 13-08-08 16:34:41
Report Abuse
pratickm
Global Moderator
Member since: Feb 04




Posts: 2831
Location: Toronto


Even if Indian Govt. and corruption is responsible for our lacklustre performance in sports at the international level, I'm not sure that we should be requiring and expecting the Govt. to do anything about it.
IMO, in a country where still 30% - 40% of the population is below poverty line, major infrastructure upgrades needed, basic education and health conditions needed, the Govt. could be spening its time and resources better than investing in sports.

Sports costs money - a lot of it.
Training academies at grassroots level, good competent international coaches, infrastructure, paying atheletes for training, paying them enough to retain them long-term and rewarding them for good performance - everything costs money.

Maybe Chinese Govt. can afford all of this due to centralized, communistic economy, but a democratic and socialistic country like India cannot.
And maybe should not event attempt to do so.

That said, it doesn't mean that we should forget about sports for another 50, 100 years till we become developed like Western countries.
I think the private sector needs to get into the game a lot more.
Right now, the private sector is only interested in sponsorship and endorsement of recognized and famous sportsmen (mostly cricketers).
Maybe they need to invest more at the grass roots levels - into schools, colleges and training academies.
Also, they can have training programs for promising atheletes where atheletes get paid some respectable compensation during their training years.

All this will pay off for them eventually when those players win big at the international stage - it will take years to build up this kind of infrastructure, but there will be rewards to be reaped eventually.

If the private sector is not game for this kind of investment, I don't think it is fair to expect our govt. to spend tax payers hard earned money to win some decorative medals in sports.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
"Mah deah, there is much more money to be made in the destruction of civilization than in building it up."

-- Rhett Butler in "Gone with the Wind"

 
Post ID: 125808 13-08-08 19:53:10
Report Abuse
blorean
Senior Desi
Member since: Apr 08




Posts: 528
Location:


Quote:
Originally posted by pratickm
I think the private sector needs to get into the game a lot more.
Right now, the private sector is only interested in sponsorship and endorsement of recognized and famous sportsmen (mostly cricketers).
Maybe they need to invest more at the grass roots levels - into schools, colleges and training academies.
Also, they can have training programs for promising atheletes where atheletes get paid some respectable compensation during their training years.

All this will pay off for them eventually when those players win big at the international stage - it will take years to build up this kind of infrastructure, but there will be rewards to be reaped eventually.

If the private sector is not game for this kind of investment, I don't think it is fair to expect our govt. to spend tax payers hard earned money to win some decorative medals in sports.



You hit the nail on the head. Where the heck is the private sector? Its not they don't have money. Do you know the salaries they are paying players who play in the IPL?

I learnt today, the US government pays each athlete that wins a gold medal $25000. That's not much. The bulk of it comes from endorsements and private sponsorships.

The Russian government pays players that win the gold medal $50,000.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you have a gun, you can rob a bank.
If you have a bank, you can rob everyone.
- Bill Maher

 
Last edited by: blorean on 13-08-08 20:12:52
Post ID: 125812 13-08-08 20:11:17
Report Abuse
desi-friend
Senior Desi
Member since: Jun 08




Posts: 237
Location: Toronto


Quote:
Originally posted by pratickm
.
(IMO, in a country where still 30% - 40% of the population is below poverty line, major infrastructure upgrades needed, basic education and health conditions needed, the Govt. could be spening its time and resources better than investing in sports.+

(That said, it doesn't mean that we should forget about sports for another 50, 100 years till we become developed like Western countries.
I think the private sector needs to get into the game a lot more.
Right now, the private sector is only interested in sponsorship and endorsement of recognized and famous sportsmen (mostly cricketers).

(Also, they can have training programs for promising atheletes where atheletes get paid some respectable compensation during their training years.)

(If the private sector is not game for this kind of investment, I don't think it is fair to expect our govt. to spend tax payers hard earned money to win some decorative medals in sports.)



I fully agree that we should not expect the government of a socialist country like ours to invest too much in this field. Private sector is the only answer. Like for example it is all private money in cricket and even the governing body BCCI is an independent body.


 
Post ID: 125813 13-08-08 20:11:30
Report Abuse
desi in ottawa
Senior Desi
Member since: May 04




Posts: 1627
Location:


In one of the shooting events in the olympics, a guy from USA won the gold. He is a deer hunter from Texas. Silver was won by a cop from Italy.

On a bit of a side note, remember Yograj Singh, Yuvi's dad? He was a very good fast bowler. His intl career was cut short by internal politics.


dio



 
Post ID: 125832 14-08-08 07:43:31
Report Abuse
newton
Senior Desi
Member since: Mar 07




Posts: 169
Location: Toronto


If politics was a sport in the Olympics India would have won 10 gold medals......Sharad Pawar, Lalu Yadav...etc would have all won gold.

 
Post ID: 125835 14-08-08 08:13:57
Report Abuse
Contributors:
Aashu(1)  avyas(1)  bc2on(1)  blorean(3)  BlueLobster(2)  desi in ottawa(2)  desi-friend(1)  
hchheda(2)  HelloG(2)  jake3d(2)  JRF(6)  kumar_vadivelu(1)  Maharaj(3)  newton(1)  
Nightmare(1)  pratickm(3)  puttoo(1)  ramar2005(1)  
< [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ] [ 4 ] >
 
Show Printable version
Send this page to a friend
Add to favorites
 


 
Web
CanadianDesi
Please Contribute!
Write an Article
Send Community News
Create Photo and Video Albums
Submit Good Pictures
List Useful Websites
Post Jobs
Submit Events
List for FREE!
Businesses
Classifieds
Social Organizations
Religious Places
Employment Agencies
Email Page
Your Email
Friend\'s Email

Advertise Contact Us Privacy Policy and Terms of Usage FAQ
Canadian Desi
© 2001 Marg eSolutions


Site designed, developed and maintained by Marg eSolutions Inc.