Back to Home PageWelcome Guest! Register | Login | Home | Contact Us | Site Map | Advertise | FAQ | Search
Canadian Desi
    Charcha


        
  Canada Immigration Forum > About Canada > Jobs > Recruters wasting our time
Last Post | Newest Post
 
< [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ] >

Recruters wasting our time




Hello Cd's,
This is the 3 rd. incident of having a worse time with a recruiter.
A recruiter from a reputed recruitment firm near my house called me 2 days back and told me that he got my resume from Workopolis and asked me if I was still looking for work for which I said yes. He then asked me when I would be free to come to his office to discuss about a position. Since I am desparetely looking for work near my home, I agreed to come and he fixed 9:00 am today. I lied to my employer and met this recruiter at his office. He went through my resume and talked to me about my strength's and work for 30 mins. At the end of the Interview, He told me that he will try to get me a job and that he would first call up all Architects within that region to see if they were interested in employing me. I really got angry when he told me that. I told him that he could have asked all these details over the phone and why he was bothering me like that for some non existant position. He cooly replied that this was the procedure. I came late to the office by 1 hr. 30 mins. which i have to compensate by working late or coming to work on Monday.
Why are these recruiters like this wasting our time. My guess is that he had to give an account to his company as to how many potential candidates he interviews every month and he used me as a pawn in his employment target figure.
Does any other CD have horrible experience like this and any way to teach these kind of recruiters a lesson?
As said before this was my 3 rd. experience like this.

Peace

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Gents and not a Ladies.

 
tamilkuravan

Senior Desi
Member since: Jun 05
Posts: 5740
Location: God's own country

Post ID: 120630 16-05-08 15:07:17
Report Abuse
viggy
Senior Desi
Member since: Aug 07




Posts: 569
Location:


:-) He is just doing his job. And yes, as you said, it is a numbers game. He don't want to you submit every resume he gets. So wants to show he interviewed 'n' number of people to select the 'right' candidate for the job.

Best way to filter these - though no fool proof - is to ask about the position over the phone itself. If it is genuine, chances are he/she will say the location of work, nature of work, size of company and some may tell even the company name.

Ofcourse if one is desparate, better not to filter. Never know when you will get the right lead. My current position came like that. Went for the interview without much thought, but walked out with the offer letter! An year later, I love this firm.


 
Post ID: 120632 16-05-08 15:41:06
Report Abuse
jake3d
Senior Desi
Member since: Sep 03




Posts: 2962
Location: Montreal


Quote:
Originally posted by tamilkuravan

Does any other CD have horrible experience like this and any way to teach these kind of recruiters a lesson?
As said before this was my 3 rd. experience like this.

Peace



walk in with a baseball bat?

drive car through their office/cubicle?

take shoes off and put on their desk?

bang head on their desk?

bang their head on their desk?

------

or something more complicated, but less obvious, like asking details about the job on the phone..like previous poster mentioned?


-----------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended Services- Servicedomino.com
http://www.servicedomino.com

 
Last edited by: jake3d on 16-05-08 16:13:44
Post ID: 120635 16-05-08 16:13:20
Report Abuse
JRF
Senior Desi
Member since: Jul 04




Posts: 1851
Location: GTA, Ontario


I had been through this drudgery in the initial days. When I refused to meet a recruiter, he got suspicious that some one else will get the credit, he drove up all the way to my home then.
It also used to cost me $10 to travel to downtown and pain to wear all formal shirts and jackets.. I react nowadays and its been cool....

Paint a big picture as they usually do from their end and refuse to meet him. If they really have a position, they will usually be different and will any how get you hooked up there/


This is a very very tough place for some one to start their life...



Quote:
Originally posted by tamilkuravan

Hello Cd's,
This is the 3 rd. incident of having a worse time with a recruiter.
A recruiter from a reputed recruitment firm near my house called me 2 days back and told me that he got my resume from Workopolis and asked me if I was still looking for work for which I said yes. He then asked me when I would be free to come to his office to discuss about a position. Since I am desparetely looking for work near my home, I agreed to come and he fixed 9:00 am today. I lied to my employer and met this recruiter at his office. He went through my resume and talked to me about my strength's and work for 30 mins. At the end of the Interview, He told me that he will try to get me a job and that he would first call up all Architects within that region to see if they were interested in employing me. I really got angry when he told me that. I told him that he could have asked all these details over the phone and why he was bothering me like that for some non existant position. He cooly replied that this was the procedure. I came late to the office by 1 hr. 30 mins. which i have to compensate by working late or coming to work on Monday.
Why are these recruiters like this wasting our time. My guess is that he had to give an account to his company as to how many potential candidates he interviews every month and he used me as a pawn in his employment target figure.
Does any other CD have horrible experience like this and any way to teach these kind of recruiters a lesson?
As said before this was my 3 rd. experience like this.

Peace


-----------------------------------------------------------------
The cowards never started,
The weak died on the way,
Only the strong arrived.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yK1i9cLAMM

 
Post ID: 120636 16-05-08 17:20:21
Report Abuse
morning_rain
Global Moderator
Member since: Feb 05




Posts: 1920
Location: British Columbia


My husband is currently working with a recruiter and has been getting multiple interviews. He started off by going to a meeting with a recruiter ..so they could meet him in person..see how he presents and all that.

TK: why would a recruiter risk the reputation of their firm to market you out to prospective employers (ie/ their customers) before seeing you in person? You cannot hire someone without meeting them and you cannot promote someone sight unseen.

By getting angry..u've virtually guaranteed urself no job or interview prospects

-----------------------------------------------------------------
~ Morning rain



 
Post ID: 120640 16-05-08 21:02:06
Report Abuse
newton
Senior Desi
Member since: Mar 07




Posts: 169
Location: Toronto



I have received two job offers through recruiters. Both times the recruiter did not meet me. We had a telephone interview and I had a client meeting and was hired. The truth is recruiters need you more than you need them because you can find a job without them but they cannot make their money without candidates....so always remember who is in a position of strength in the equation.


 
Last edited by: newton on 16-05-08 21:10:37
Post ID: 120641 16-05-08 21:10:00
Report Abuse
jake3d
Senior Desi
Member since: Sep 03




Posts: 2962
Location: Montreal


Quote:
Originally posted by morning_rain

My husband is currently working with a recruiter and has been getting multiple interviews. He started off by going to a meeting with a recruiter ..so they could meet him in person..see how he presents and all that.

TK: why would a recruiter risk the reputation of their firm to market you out to prospective employers (ie/ their customers) before seeing you in person? You cannot hire someone without meeting them and you cannot promote someone sight unseen.

By getting angry..u've virtually guaranteed urself no job or interview prospects



I agree, my wife got ger present job one yr ago thru a recruiter. She had to meet them cpl of times before she was sent to the meet employers. For jobs or employers who insist on soft skills etc...obviously the recruiters do the filtering for the clients.
For some employers and positions the candidates skills or the urgency to fill a position may supercede a screening interview.

If you have ended up in a position where you went to meet a recruiter, and had no tangible result, the best way to cut your losses is to try to ensure that the recruiter calls you back. Throwing a fit is actually compounding ones losses.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended Services- Servicedomino.com
http://www.servicedomino.com

 
Last edited by: jake3d on 16-05-08 21:20:22
Post ID: 120642 16-05-08 21:19:32
Report Abuse
Fido
Senior Desi
Member since: Aug 06




Posts: 5277
Location: Canada


Its demand and supply . If they have a genuine opportunity for which they need you - I bet you they will visit your house ---- no needs of any personal interviews at all till its time to meet the client .

I have turned couple of them down myself and guess what - they still keep calling about little known jobs and companies --- .

I would suggest to be courteous to them but maintain your priorities.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Fido.

 
Last edited by: Fido on 16-05-08 23:05:16
Post ID: 120643 16-05-08 22:06:33
Report Abuse
905Desi
Senior Desi
Member since: Feb 08




Posts: 279
Location: Greater Toronto Arena


Quote:
Originally posted by tamilkuravan

Hello Cd's,
This is the 3 rd. incident of having a worse time with a recruiter.
A recruiter from a reputed recruitment firm near my house called me 2 days back and told me that he got my resume from Workopolis and asked me if I was still looking for work for which I said yes. He then asked me when I would be free to come to his office to discuss about a position. Since I am desparetely looking for work near my home, I agreed to come and he fixed 9:00 am today. I lied to my employer and met this recruiter at his office. He went through my resume and talked to me about my strength's and work for 30 mins. At the end of the Interview, He told me that he will try to get me a job and that he would first call up all Architects within that region to see if they were interested in employing me. I really got angry when he told me that. I told him that he could have asked all these details over the phone and why he was bothering me like that for some non existant position. He cooly replied that this was the procedure. I came late to the office by 1 hr. 30 mins. which i have to compensate by working late or coming to work on Monday.
Why are these recruiters like this wasting our time. My guess is that he had to give an account to his company as to how many potential candidates he interviews every month and he used me as a pawn in his employment target figure.
Does any other CD have horrible experience like this and any way to teach these kind of recruiters a lesson?
As said before this was my 3 rd. experience like this.

Peace



you lied to your employer. then now you get angry at recruiter for what you percerceive as lying to you about a job when it is just their process to screen candidates. you should be greatful taht you passed the interview and that he is going to recommend you to employers .. but with your outburst at the end he might NOT recommend you to potential employers .. that would be yours to blame because of that outburst at the end of the interview.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
happily holi day!

 
Post ID: 120651 17-05-08 11:27:19
Report Abuse
905Desi
Senior Desi
Member since: Feb 08




Posts: 279
Location: Greater Toronto Arena


i have a job now .
but have my resume posted on line.
if a recruiter calls me ...
i say to him

'don't waist my time. talk fast. you got 90 seconds to tell me ..
what is the co.? what is the position? what is compensation?
and you've seen my resume .. why should i move?'

they know i mean business. i literally hang up afer 90 seconds.
if it is a good op, i usually chat a bit more.





-----------------------------------------------------------------
happily holi day!

 
Post ID: 120652 17-05-08 11:30:26
Report Abuse
Contributors:
905Desi(4)  blorean(1)  Desi # 1(1)  dudewheresmycar(2)  Fido(3)  jake3d(2)  JRF(1)  
morning_rain(2)  newton(1)  noname(1)  tamilkuravan(2)  Vancouverdesi(2)  viggy(1)  
< [ 1 ] [ 2 ] [ 3 ] >
 
Show Printable version
Send this page to a friend
Add to favorites
 


 
Web
CanadianDesi
Please Contribute!
Write an Article
Send Community News
Create Photo and Video Albums
Submit Good Pictures
List Useful Websites
Post Jobs
Submit Events
List for FREE!
Businesses
Classifieds
Social Organizations
Religious Places
Employment Agencies
Email Page
Your Email
Friend\'s Email

Advertise Contact Us Privacy Policy and Terms of Usage FAQ
Canadian Desi
© 2001 Marg eSolutions


Site designed, developed and maintained by Marg eSolutions Inc.